Narcissistic and self-indulgent are words often used arbitrarily to describe artists who choose to put themselves and their lives at the centre of their work. Well, there is much more to their work than pure self-indulgence. If you are an artist working with the "self", you probably know what I mean. In this 5-part monthly workshop series we will explore autobiographical art practices, the why and the how. We will take a look at the process of different artists and relate their work to memory, healing, identity, and power. We will also discuss the relationship of these artists to their audience and how their work is perceived.
The sessions are organized as part lectures part exercises that could be either individual or group exercises. There is a homework aspect although it is not mandatory. This course is for all levels and all fields in art.
March 7: Past, Relived and Rites of Passage
April 4: Few Steps Back and the Artist as Artwork
May 2: From Private to Public
June 6: From Fact to Fiction
July 4: From Personal to Social
Exercises and homework:
You can decide whether to register for the whole series and develop one project throughout the course or take individual sessions and conceptualize mini-projects that you can develop on your own.
Is this workshop for me?
This course is for you if you fall under one or more from the following:
- You identify yourself as someone whose life influences his/her art.
- You are interested in learning about famous artists who worked with material from their lives and how they did it.
- You have a project based on events from your life that you’d like to pursue and need inspiration to accomplish it.
- You are an emerging artist or art enthusiast looking to broaden your knowledge in art.
Tools to bring:
- Any medium that you're comfortable working with
20 CAD per session per person including one drink
Note: If you really want to attend but can't afford the ticket please drop me an email.
About the venue
An Inspiring Workspace!
L’Atelier (french for "The Workshop") is a CO-WORKING space, Event Space, and NETWORKING HUB in Gastown for Creative Entrepreneurs, Startups, and Freelancers.